State LORC Law No. 6/88 of Sept. 30, 1988
The State Law and Order Restoration Council hereby enacts the following Lawó
Title and Definitions
1. This Law shall be called the Law relating to Forming of Organizations.
2. The following expressions in this Law shall have the following meanings--
(a) an organization means an association, society, union, party, committee, federation, group of associations, front, club and similar organization that is formed with a group of people for an objective or a programme either with or without a particular name.
(b) a political organization means an organization that has a political movement based upon a certain political ideology.
Applying for permission to form organizations
3. (a) Organizations shall apply for permission to form to the Ministry of Home and Religious Affairs according to the prescribed procedure.
(b) Organizations that have already been formed shall apply within thirty days from the promulgation of this Law.
(c) Organizations that are not permitted shall not form or continue to exist and pursue activities.
4. The following organizations do not require to apply for permission to form:
(a) Organizations that are registered and remain so registered under the Protection of National Unity Law, 1964;
(b) Organizations that pursue religious activities only;
(c) Organizations that pursue economic activities only;
(d) Organizations registered under any existing law;
(e) Organizations that have under the Political Parties Registration Law received permission for formation form the Multi-party Democracy General Elections Commission or that have applied or that have submitted that preparations are being made for application.
Organizations not permitted to form
5. The following organizations shall not be formed, and if already formed shall not function and shall not continue to exist:
(a) Organizations that are not permitted to register under The Political Parties Registration Law, 1988 or if permitted to register, the registration[s] of which have been cancelled by the Multi-party Democracy General Elections Commission;
(b) Organizations that attempt, instigate, incite, abet or commit acts that may in any way disrupt law and order, peace and tranquility, or safe and secure communications;
(c) Organizations that attempt, instigate, incite, abet or commit acts that may effect [sic] or disrupt the regularity of state machinery;
(d) Organizations that are formed with service personnel from the Tatmadaw and the Peoples' Police Force of the defence forces and personnel of public service organizations, State owned economic boards, corporations and other organizations of the State machinery or with service personnel receiving monthly emoluments from the state budget and being either under the influence of or associated with a political party.
6. Any person found guilty of committing an offence under Section 3 Sub section (c) or Section 5 shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to five years.
7. Any person found guilty of being a member of, or aiding and abetting or using the paraphernalia of organizations that are not permitted to form or not permitted to continue in existence and provided in Section 3 Sub section (c) or that are not permitted to form as provided in Section 5 shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to three years.
8. The Ministry of Home and Religious Affairs may cancel the registration of those organizations that are found to be acting in ways or for an objective that are different from those at the time of registration.
9. The Ministry of Home and Religious Affairs may make necessary rules, orders, directives and procedures.
Sd. General Saw Maung
State Law and Order Restoration Council