The State Law and Order Restoration Council
The Law Relating to the Sangh Organization
(The State Law and Order Restoration Council Law No. 20/90)
The 14th Waxing Day of Tazaungrnon. 1352 M.E.
(31st October, 1990)
The State Law and Order Restoration Council hereby enacts the following Law: -
Title and Definition
This Law shall he called the Law Relating to the San gha Organization.
2. The following expressions contained fn this Law shall have the meanings given hereunder:-
(a) Sanghai means all monks who have attained the noble monkhood by the Natticatutthaupasampada Kammavaca and who have the. same religious vows and precepts;
(b) Basic Regulation means the Union of Myanmar San gha Organization Basic Regulation approved and prescribed by the Congregation of the San gha of All Orders for purification, perpetuation and propagation of the Ssan;
(C) Sangha Organization means the different levels of San gha Organization formed in accordance with the Basic Regulation;
(d) Theravdda means the Pitaka such as Pa Ii, Atthakathd and Tikd which have been submitted to and reviewed by the Six Buddhist Councils commencing from the First Buddhist Council to the Sixth Buddhist Council.
3. There shall be only one Sangha Organization in the Union of Myanmar, comprising all Orders of the San gha prescribed under the Basic Regulation.
4. All Sanghas from the respective Theravdda Sangha Sects in the Union of Myanmar are members of the Union of Myanmar Sangha Organization.
5. The following nine Sects of Sangha approved by the Basic Regulation within the Swig/id Organization have the right to abide by the code of discipline of their respective Sects:
(a) Sudhamma Sect;
(b) Shwekyin Sect;
(c) Dhammdnudhamma Mahddvra Nikdya Sect;
(d) Dhammavinynulonw Mtiladvffra Nikva Sect;
(e) Ah-nauk-Chaurig Dvra Sect;
(f) Veluvana Nikci~ya Sect;
(g) Catubhummika Mahdsatipatthdna Nget-twin Sect;
(h) Ganavimut Kudo Sect;
(i) Dhamrnayutti Nikdya Ma-her-yin Sect.
6. The Sangha Pavarana Sects existing in the respective localities are included in the San gha Sects contained in Section 5.
7. The Sahgha Sects contained in Section 5 have the right to amalgamate with agreed Sects.
8. No new Sects other than the Sangha Sects contained in Section 5 shall be formed separately.
9. No Sangha Organization which is not subject to the supervision of the respective Sangha Ndyaka Committee, other than such organization under the supervision of the respective Saiigh Nciyaka Committee as Ovadacariya Sang/ia Organizations, Ndyaka Sangha Organizations of Buddhist Associations, Sangha Organizations convening the The ravdda Pariyatti Oral Written Examinations shall be formed.
10. No one shall organize, agitate, deliver speeches or distribute writings in
order to disintegrate the Sangha Organizations at different levels.
11. When any monk or novice is admonished by the Sangha Organization at different levels in accordance with the Basic Regulation of Sangha Organization or the Procedures, such monk or novice shall abide by such admonition.
12. Any monk or novice who violates the provision of Section 8 or Section
9 shall, on conviction. he punished with imprisonment for a term which may
extend from a minimum of 6 months to a maximum of 3 years.
13. Whoever violates the provision of Section 10 shall, on conviction, be
punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend from a minimum of
6 months to a maximum of 3 years.
14. Any monk or novice who violates the provision of Section 11 shall, on conviction, be punished with imprisonment for a term of 6 months.
15. On being informed by any Sangha Organization or any State Organization
that it is necessary to institute legal proceedings under Section 12 or Section
13 of this Law, the Ministry of Home and Religious Affairs shall institute legal
16. On being informed by any Sangha Qrganization that it is necessary to institute legal proceedings under Section 14 of this Law, the Director General of the Department of Religious Affairs or any person delegated by the Director General for this purpose shall make a direct complaint to the relevant court.
17. No suit, prosecution or other legal proceedings shall lie against any public servant in respect of anything which is in good faith done under this Law.
18. For the purpose of carrying out the provisions of this Law, the Ministry of Home and Religious Affairs may, in consultation with the State Sangha Maha Nayaka Committee issue orders and directives as may he necessary.
Sd./ Saw Maung
The State Law and Order Restoration Council