The State Law and Order Restoration Council
The University of Culture Law
(The State Law and Order Restoration Council Law No. 7/93)
The 14th Waning Day of Oo Toga, 1356 M.E.
(2Oth April, 1993)
The State Law and Order Restoration Council hereby enacts the following Law :-
Title and Definition
1. This Law shall be called the University of Culture Law.
2. The following expressions contained and this Law shall have the meanings given hereunder:
(a) University means the University of Culture established under this Law;
(b) Council means the University Council formed under this Law to supervise the duties and functions of the University;
(c) School means the Schools of Music and Drama and Schools of Painting and Sculpture established by the Government.
Establishment of the University
3. The University of Culture is established with effect from the date on which this Law comes into force.
4. The University shall operate under its own name and a common seal and shall have perpetual succession and right to sue and be used in its corporate name.
5. Schools existing at the time of the establishment of the University shall be deemed to be Schools affiliated to the University.
6. The Government may form the Institute of Culture and Schools affiliated to the University, as may be necessary.
Objectives of the University
7. The objectives of the University are as follows :-
(a) to preserve and develop Myanmar cultural heritage;
(b) to conduct research and training for the development of Myanmar Fine Arts and the emergence of outstanding artistes;
(c) to provide for instruction in the culture, customs and traditions of the national races of the Union at the University, Institute of Culture and Schools;
(d) to contribute towards keeping alive and keen the Union spirit and sense of patriotism;
(e) to produce good artistes of sound moral character.
Formation of the Council
8. The Government shall form the Council with the following persons, in order to implement the objectives of the University : -
(a) Minister, Ministry of Culture Chairman
(b) persons from the relevant Councillors
Government departments and organizations
(c) luminaries of the relevant subjects Councillors
(d) suitable citizens Councillors
(e) Director Genera, Secretary
Department of Fine Arts
9. The Government may determine the Vice-Chairman and Joint Secretary when necessary.
10. Councillors who are non-Government servants are entitled to receive such remuneration as may be prescribed by the Ministry of Culture.
Duties and Powers of the Council
11. The duties and powers of the Council are as follows :
(a) laying down the policies relating to University education;
(b) determining to conduct works of research relating to University education;
(c) determining the degrees, diplomas and honorary degrees relating to University education to be conferred by the University;
(d) determining the number of students to be admitted to the University;
(e) determining the qualifications for admission to the University;
(f) determining the qualifications of the teachers who are serving at the University.
(g) supervising the administrative functions of the University and giving decisions thereon;
(h) making decisions in respect of the holding of University examinations;
(i) preparing and maintaining the organizational set-up as may be necessary for the University, in the manner prescribed;
(j) obtaining technical assistance and other assistance as may be necessary from the Government departments and organizations and local and foreign organizations;
(k) determining the duties and powers of the Rector of the University.
Formation of the Academic Body and Administrative Body
12. The Council shall form the following Bodies with suitable persons in order to carry out effectively the academic functions and administrative functions of the University :-
(a) University Academic Body;
(b) University Administrative Body.
13. The Council shall determine the tenure of the University Academic Body and the University Administrative Body.
14. The Council shall determine the duties and powers of the University Academic Body and the University Administrative Body.
15. Members of the University Academic Body and the University Administrative Body, who are non-Government servants are entitled to receive such remuneration as may be prescribed by the Ministry of Culture.
16. Notwithstanding anything provided in any existing law, the University established under this Law shall have the right to confer degrees, diplomas and honorary degrees relating to University education.
17. For the purpose of carrying out the provisions of this Law : -
(a) the Ministry of Culture may issue rules and procedures as may be necessary, with the approval of the Government;
(b) the Ministry of Culture, the Department of Fine Arts and the Council may issue orders and directives as may be necessary.
Sd/ Than Shwe
The State Law and Order Restoration Council