"By vigorously opposing all unjust and oppressive laws, and by helping restore the principle of the Rule of Law, the Burma Lawyers' Council aims to contribute to the transformation of Burma where all the citizens enjoy the equal protection of law under the democratic federal constitution which will guarantee fundamentals of human rights."
[INDIA ACT XXIII, 1931] (9th October, 1931)
1. * * * *
2. In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,—
(1) “book” includes every volume, part or divisions of a volume, pamphlet and leaflet, in any language, and every sheet of music, map, chart or plan separately printed or lithographed;
(2) “document” includes also any painting, drawing or photograph or other visible representation;
(3) * * * *
(4) “Magistrate” means a District Magistrate
[INDIA ACT XIV, 1908] (11th December, 1908)
1---- 14. * * * *
15. In this Part—
(1) ‘‘association’’ means any combination or body of persons, whether the same be known by any distinctive name or not; and
(2) “unlawful association” means an association —
(a) which encourages or aids persons to commit acts of violence or intimidation or of which the members habitually commit such acts, or
[INDIA ACT VI, 1908] (8th June, 1908)
11. This Act extends to the whole of the Union of Burma and applies also to all citizens of the Union and all servants of the Government wherever they may be.
2. In this Act, the expression “explosive substance” shall be deemed to include any materials for making any explosive substance; also any apparatus, machine, implement or material used, on intended to be used, or adapted for causing, or aiding in causing, any explosion in or with any explosive substance; also any part of any such apparatus, machine or implement.
BLC's Legal Aid Section provides training and assistance for refugees and migrant workers on the Thai-Burma border. Find out more.